2 lb pork shoulder
1 cup pancetta, diced
1 onion diced
1 bunch sage
4 cups milk
6 garlic cloves
Chive, for garnish
Salt and pepper
- Start by rendering the pancetta in a pan large enough to fit the pork shoulder. Cook for a few minutes over low heat until light brown. Remove the pancetta with a slotted spoon and save.
- Season the pork shoulder with salt and pepper. Add it to the pancetta fat with a little butter. Sear on all sides until brown.
- Add the onion and cook for a few minutes to soften. Add the milk, sage, garlic, and half pancetta to pot. Cover and put in a 325 Degree oven for 3-4 hours or until soft and tender.
- Remove the pork from the pot and set on a plate. The milk will look broken at this point. Purée the milk with the remaining solids until smooth. Check the consistency. It should coat the back of a spoon. Cook for a few minutes if needed.
- Place the pork on a platter and cover with the reduced sauce. Top with the crispy pancetta and some minced chive. Serve with potato, polenta, or by itself.