Marinated Kale & Roasted Beet Salad
1 Bunch of red beets
1 Bunch Kale
2 oz Pancetta
1 Clove garlic
1T plus Balsamic Vinegar
¼ t Chili Flake
½ t Rosemary, fresh
1 oz Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Peel the beets and cut them into 1 1/2-inch chunks.
- Place the cut beets on a baking sheet and toss with the olive oil, thyme leaves, salt, and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, turning once or twice with a spatula, until the beets are tender. Remove from the oven and immediately toss with the juice from one orange. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil, add salt to taste and the kale. Blanch for 3 minutes or until tender, then transfer to a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking, and drain. Take the blanched kale up by the handful and squeeze hard to expel excess water, then chop roughly.
- For marinating the kale, heat 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil over medium heat in a heavy, medium size skillet and add pancetta and cook for 1- 2 min until lightly rendered
- Then and minced garlic cloves. Cook until the garlic starts to turn brown then immediately add the kale stir and toss in the pan until nicely infused with the oil and pancetta.
- Season with balsamic vinegar, rosemary, chili flake and salt to taste and continue to cook for 1 min to infuse the flavors. Then remove from the heat to cool slightly
- Gently toss the roasted beet through and serve on a platter with parmesan shaved in sheets using a vegetable peeler as garnish.