Try this simple whole trout recipe to impress your friends and family. We're pairing it with savory guanciale braised greens...yum!
- 4 whole trout
- 1/4 pound Red Table Meat Co. lonza or pancetta, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup sherry or balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup Red Table Meat Co. guanciale, diced
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups braising greens, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season fish with salt and pepper. On a cutting board, place lonza in an overlapping pattern. Lay fish in the middle of the lonza and roll so that the seam of the meat is on one side of the fish, not the back or belly. Repeat with each fish.
- In a large oven-safe pan, add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Over medium heat, add the fish with the meat seam down first. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then put under the broiler for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Remove fish from under the broiler and use a skewer to test the temperature in the middle of the fish; interior temperature should be warm. When fish is done, remove from the pan and deglaze with the vinegar. Reserve liquid to put over the fish.
- Fry guanciale over high head in a pan large enough to hold all the meat in a single layer. Cook for 5-8 minutes stirring frequently to avoid burning on one side. When guanciale is crispy and golden, remove from pan and reserve the fat.
- In the same pan, over medium heat sweat onions in reserved guanciale fat and olive oil until soft. Add garlic.
- Over medium heat, add greens to the pan and cook until tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.