· 1 pumpkin (or squash) (about 3 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut in 1-inch chunks
· 1 onion, diced
· 2 medium carrots, chopped
· 4oz pancetta, diced
· 2 cloves garlic, minced
· 2 1/2 cups pork stock, or more, to taste
· Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
· 1/4 cup whipped creme fraiche
· 2 tablespoons chopped chives
· 4oz pancetta, diced and rendered
· 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
Saute diced pancetta in a soup pot.
When pancetta is golden, add the onions to the rendered fat until they are translucent. Add the carrots and cook until soft.
Add the garlic and cook gently for about 2 minutes or until it is fragrant. Add a few pinches of salt and white pepper.
Add the squash and stock, bring to a boil and lower the heat to a simmer. Cook until the squash is very soft, about 20-30 minutes.
Puree the soup until very smooth. Garnish with a dollop of creme fraiche, pancetta, rosemary and chives.